Zippo Fanboys And Gushes Over Sonic 2.




Hey! This frankly took too long to get out here, but given the hype is dying down, there's no better time than now to throw my perspective out of there.


I absolutely love the movie. I've seen it six times and I'm ready to see it again. 


I'll just go through some points that I loved about the movie:


First off, it feels like an actual, legitimate, honest to God Sonic movie this time around. The first film just seemed like a genuine, generic kids comedy movie that just had Sonic and a few Sonic elements thrown in. This one is a lot more of what I expected, and they exceeded my expectations wildly. The movie is so chock full of fan service and neat Easter eggs that there's stuff I'm sure i haven't been able to notice yet. The writers seriously did their homework and I applaud them massively for it.


Tails:


Absolutely loved him in this film. Collen is a wonderful voice actress and she has been for a very long time. She absolutely brought her A+ game and Tails is extremely adorable delight, from beginning to end, I wish he had a little bit more plot importance, but the writers did their best to make sure he was prominent enough, I feel. They could have easily have gotten some random, lame, flavor of the week celebrity to voice Tails, but no, they got his actual in-game voice actress, and they will forever get huge props to me for that. 


Agent Stone: 


Lee's Agent Stone in the last movie was a unexpected surprise and I'm extremely happy he got a lot more play here. He's wonderful as a sidekick and I truly am happy to see how much his actor is into it online. He works very well with Jim Carrey and you can just tell how much chemistry they have on the screen immediately. It's a duo you totally didn't expect to work, but it does. This is as close as Dr. Starline is going to get to the movies, and that's totally fine by me. 


G.U.N:


This was leaked long before the movie actually came out, but admittedly, I was pretty impressed with how they turned out in this film.  With the extremely snacky Shamar Moore being a prominent member, I was on board immediately. It doesn't take up a ton of overall run time, and they're just there to set up the next film, which is fine by me. The G.U.N Commander in this movie is literally the total opposite of the game's version, and it totally makes me wonder if it was intentional. He's extremely talented veteran actor and he chews up the scenery in every scene he's in. 


Robotnik:


Jim Carrey is one of the greatest actors of our time, and that obviously continues here. He steals nearly every scene he's in and you can tell how much he ad libs his lines, he's a fucking pro at it and he's genuinely menacing here. This is the best written Robotnik has been in a long time, if not the best he's ever been written. He's truly Sonic's Joker and this is the best example I can think of.


Sonic:


I'll just say it. Ben Schwartz is quickly becoming my favorite Sonic voice. He's an extremely talented and genuine person in general and you can tell by every word he's ever said about these films that he's just happy to be here. He absolutely knocked this second performance out the park.  He and Tails hit it off immediately and you totally buy it. Sonic feels like he's genuinely evolved this time around and I like that each film will continually get him closer to his in- game counterpart. This is once again, outside of Ian Flynn's version, the best written iteration of Sonic we've had, in my opinion.


Knuckles:


Wow. Wow wow wow wow. Idris Elba continues to be one of the greatest actors of our time, and Knuckles has quickly shot up to one of my favorite roles that he's ever done. I'm serious. To say he knocked it out of the park here is a massive understatement. Knuckles steals the movie for me, and I can't even believe I'm saying that, considering how much SEGA has messed him up over the last two decades or so. He's naive, but he's not a moron. He's all about honoring his tribe, and he is the way he is for a valid reason. This is the best Knuckles has ever been, and it's not even close to me. 


The Lore:


Another high point for me. I love how they handled it this time around. They're building an actual developed universe here and I'm very excited to see what they have planned. The lore of the emeralds has been re-written and I actually quite like what they've done here. It's far less reliant on Knuckles and there's no Angel Island shenanigans, so Knuckles doesn't have to suffer with the problem he does in the modern games, another very smart move from the writers. I also love how the Owls, including Longclaw, are flat out stated to be Babylonians, from Sonic Riders. That's an extremely clever pull and it once again proves that the writers are paying attention.


The Action Scenes:


Every action scene in the movie is fantastic. It starts off with a heist robbery, and then the chase in Siberia, which is a huge reference to Ice Cap zone is another one that I lost my shit at.  Labyrinth Zone and Hidden Palace being combined was a super clever move and it had me grinning from ear to ear. 


Sonic and Knuckles having their third duke out was obviously highly anticipated and it exceeded my already high expectations. It's just as long as it needs to be, it's extremely well animated and I love how their feud is settled right then and there. You see a brotherhood form almost immediately, and I'm here for it.


The Final Battle:


Oh my word. Talk about climatic. Robotnik gets powers and then we get an extremely awesome looking movie version of the Death Egg Robot. It was literally everything I wanted and more. I was loosing my shit the entire time, and of course, seeing the trio together saving the day was quite honestly my favorite part of the movie. I was in pure awe of weeing three of my favorite heroes of my childhood on the big screen, doing what they're best at. I literally could not believe what I was seeing. 


And finally.


Super Sonic just cemented it all for me. Yes you see it coming from a million miles away, but I don't care. He looks absolutely incredible. Super Sonic on the big screen is something I've wanted to see my entire life, and I got it. They did a wonderful job with his animation, his spines actually pulsating and the aura itself.  It's exactly how I pictured him looking. 12/10.


The Ending:


I loved the ending to bits. it was warm, heartfelt and it was amazing to bookend it with how the first film started, by playing baseball. Sonic now has a loving family. Tom and Maddie have adopted Tails and Knuckles, and they've officially become Wachowskis. He has a little brother in Tails and a big brother in Knuckles. It's the absolute perfect balance and I couldn't be happier with how it ended.


The Post Credits:


Seeing Mr. Edge Hog himself show up was insane. People in my theater popped the fuck off and the energy was undescribable. It's like seeing Nick Fury in Avengers, I'm so fucking excited to see how they adapt Sonic Adventure 2. I have every bit of faith that these writers are gonna knock it out the park.


So that's all from me. I hope you enjoyed the review, I apologize for taking so long on it. Thank you for reading!

Comments

  1. Colleen didn't bring her A+ game....she brought her S Rank game

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an entusiasm 😃 now I must go to watch the first one..and then, immediately this 😉

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RE: Midori.

Nintendo Direct Watch Season Begins NOW.

Mario Kart X Will Release In 2025.