Sonic Superstars is Super Disappointing.




Ugh. The negativity continues. 


You know, when this was announced, I was pretty excited about it. I was like "hey, this isn't Mania 2 of course, but this looks pretty cool!" 


Then, as the months went on, I got less and less excited. I just got a feeling, and it continued and continued on.  Now we're here. 


I'm not gonna mince words. This game is a huge disappointment, from top to bottom. It's a hot mess. It's got absolutely no rizz, as the kids say. 

It's okay in some spots, but there's a lot here that just doesn't work for me. The level design is good, for the first five or so zones. Then...


It drops off of a fucking cliff. 

I don't know what happened in the second half but I did not like it. At all. Some of the bosses are some of the worst I've ever played in a video game, I fucking swear to Christ, autoscrollers should be banned from ever being in Sonic, what the hell. 

And my god, some of the bosses go on for fucking ever. What were they thinking?!

I never want to see Fang ever again after this, that last boss featuring him is just death. 

How are the starting cutscenes for some of these bosses longer than Sonic 4 Episode 2? How???!

Also, the music. Tee absolutely brought some bangers, for sure. Good shit there.

Too bad no one else did. I don't know what happened here, but yeah, no. This is mostly a miss. 

Oh, and for the love of God. 


Stop. Trying. To. Emulate. Genesis. Music. 

It's 2023. No one wants this. No one asked for it.

It sucked in Sonic 4. It sucked in Sonic 4. It mostly sucks here.

Jun, I love you. Please stop trying to be a 16 bit music chef. Ya ain't cooking shit. 

Trip is a cool new addition to the gang. I really like her unmasked design. She's a cutie and she fits very well into the Sonic designs. That being said, her "story" is not it, chief. It's a hard mode in the worst ways. 

That final boss also did pretty much nothing for me. Egg Reverie this is not. Not even close. 

I am genuinely astounded that this is receiving 7s and 8s across the board. I feel like I'm genuinely alone on this, or something. Did we even play the same game? 

This is a hard 5/10. No doubts about it to me. 

And... *Sigh*... Arzest. 

After Yoshi's New Island, Hey Pikmin, and Balan FUCKING Wonderworld, they have been given so many chances at this point, and yet, they have failed every single time. How this company keeps getting work, I have no fucking clue. 

I just don't know what else to say at this point. Frontiers and Superstars both had a lot of potential and they just ended up falling flat on their faces yet again. 

I can not recommend either game in good faith. 

Absolutely do not buy Superstars for 60 bucks. It isn't worth it. Even 40 is asking a fucking lot. I feel extreme buyers remorse, and that's something I rarely feel. 

I've been a Sonic fan for most of my life, and I just feel nothing but apathy right now. It's genuinely deflating. 

I'm gonna take a break from this blue rodent for a good while. I've definitely needed it for a good awhile. Oh God, I've definitely made some enemies tonight. 

To anyone who's enjoying these recent Sonic games, all the more power to you. I'm glad you could get more out of them than I could. 

"Just okay" just isn't going to cut it for me anymore. Fans deserve better. Sonic deserves better. 

On to something more positive next time, I promise. 


Comments

  1. Sega continues to separate Sonics, because of the gameplay... In other words, the Classic designs are back... (again!) that was enough for me to have no interest in this game, totally meh for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're probably one of those people that are against fans that like the new stuff
    we "accept mediocrity" right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pseudo Genesis music still being used baffles me. No one like it in Sonic 4 or Origins. Game was below my expectations & the co-op was horrible. I still have faith they can do better in a sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RE: Midori.

Nintendo Direct Watch Season Begins NOW.

Mario Kart X Will Release In 2025.